Thursday, May 21, 2009

Parks and Backs

The weather has been beautiful in the NW recently and we have been out exploring our favorite parks! I love summer and am excited to be out and about. Yesterday we just went up the road to a neighborhood park after naps and the kids loved it. They had soooo much fun and did not want to leave. Today we met friends at another park and had a fun time there and then went to one of the other families houses for lunch and more fun in the backyard.
On another note I have had back problems since just before we travelled to China to bring Annalynn home - over two years ago (actually I have had back problems since I was 25 - my 25th birthday to be exact). Usually it is just a flare up and then gets better - but this time it never got better. I have been to chiropractors, had physical therapy, ended up in the ER and nothing has helped much. I think it was aggravated by all the new activities of mothering a then 20 month old and just never had a chance to get better. I finally found a physical therapist who specializes in low backs and after listening to me recite my history and symptoms he told me what he was pretty sure was going on. He thinks I have a bulging disc. In the past I have taken it easy and it has gotten better but this time it has just continued to get worse and cause awful spasms in my back etc. Fortunately it seems to be bulging to the side and not back so it is not affecting the nerves which would be much worse pain. Right now he has me doing two different exercises every hour (ten reps of each) and standing or laying down on my right side - very minimal sitting. Also, I cannot bend forward or to the right. Ironically, this is making me more active than I have been as I am not sitting much at all. Walking is the one activity that makes me almost pain free so we have been doing a lot of that daily as well. I have great friends who are helping me out with some of the tasks I cannot do with these restrictions and the kids are great helpers as well. One of the hardest things for me is not being able to garden! I have just put in all my veggies and flowers and it kills me to walk out there and not be able to pull the weeds. Gardening is my therapy but the PT said it is the absolute worst thing for my back right now!
Right now I am trying to do everything he is asking of me in hopes of getting my back into shape again so I can enjoy the summer with my kids! We are going to meet Mickey Mouse in a couple of weeks and I want to be able to enjoy the time there! Anyway, enough about me but if you pray and I come to mind I would appreciate a prayer said for a healed and restored back!! With God nothing is impossible!












3 comments:

Unknown said...

We have been enjoying some park time as well.

Sorry about your back. Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Cousin Matt will enjoy seeing them on their climbing wall :)!

Do you feel that the exercises are helping? Praying for you and your long trip sitting!!

a portland granny said...

Ruth, I am so sorry about your back. I am the queen of back pain, spending at least half of each month down with acute phase. I don't have little ones, so I can't imagine how you do it. Come visit soon--I would love to hear what all you have done, who you have visited etc. Maybe you've tried something I haven't and I'm always anxious to hear of new things. I don't have your phone number. Would you email it to me? At least I can all you. I would walk over to your house, but most days stairs only stir things up for me.

Hope you are on the mend!