Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of Preschool

We're back from our blog break and as you may have guessed from the new layout and the title of this post today was a momentuous occasion in our house! We have been anticipating this day for awhile and talking about it and preparing ourselves (all of us) for it.

The day dawned with a very unusual happening at our house - Anna slept in! This NEVER happens. Not sure if the events of the coming day were more than she could bear to wake up to or if she was just tired :-) One minute she has been excited about school and the next not so sure. The last thing before she went to bed she did not want to go. One thing is for sure - we were not going to force her to go to school! It is only preschool after all and I wasn't going to traumatize her over it.

This morning she wanted to go so we proceeded to get ready. AJ has always wanted to go and has never had any hesitation.

Daddy stayed home this morning to get them off to their first day. All went well until we went to leave. She kept wanting to give us hugs (meanwhile AJ was playing and totally oblivious :-) ) When we did leave the room she fell on the floor and cried. I stood outside the door and shed a few tears of my own while I waited to see if she was going to stop - after a couple minutes it became apparent she was not so I went back in and comforted her. I told her she did not have to stay if she did not want to. She said she wanted to stay with me so we got her backpack and went out in the hall. (I told her teacher I thought she would be back soon) When we got out and she realized that AJ was staying she decided she wanted to go back :-) I took her back in the classroom and she went over to play near her brother and all was well in the world once again. One of my main reasons for putting them in preschool is to get them comfortable around other children but for now we will let her sit and play near her brother until she is comfortable.

When I went to pick them up they were ALL smiles and she declared that she liked school a lot!

Eggs and toast for breakfast




Already to go - babies only went as far as the car :-)

Here we are!

Daddy helped hang up their backpacks



4 comments:

a portland granny said...

Oh wowsie! What an exciting day for the children! I wondered when their first day was. I know they will have a wonderful experience and it will be so good for them.

Enjoy your two hours off!

Anonymous said...

Glad it went so well and they both liked it so much. It will be a good break for you and a wonderful chance for them to grow and make new friends!!

Aus said...

Well welcome back - missed you! Nice facelift on the blog too - looks great!

Sounds to me like you did a 'great job' on 1st day - like you - we didn't want to 'force it' on Braelyn (Brianna couldn't wait to start!). Well - Braelyn is much like her jei jei - not a tear or a hiccup - out the door and into school she went! She too proclaims to love it, and even though she doesn't have 'homework' like here sister does - she still wants to 'do homework' too (we give her something to do - keep the juices flowing!)

hugs - aus and co.

Anonymous said...

Big kids :)!