Friday, February 06, 2009

Hank - May 24, 2000 - February 5, 2009

Tonight is a very sad night at our house. Our Hank went to doggy heaven. Hank was our long hair mini doxy and he has had back trouble off and on for sometime. Today he was in tremendous pain and by tonight he appeared to be loosing function in his hind legs. I took him in to the vet at 10:30 pm and she confirmed what we feared. Our alternatives were costly surgery or steroids and sedation in a kennel for six weeks and then only a slight chance of making any kind of recovery. We love our dogs ALOT but have always said that they are dogs and when it came right down to it we could not justify spending alot of money on them. Tonight we had to make that choice. It was so hard but now I know he is no longer in pain - our pain will continue for some time as we get used to life without him. He was the sweetest, most loving dog and he was definitely a mama's boy! He could always be found at my feet - even to the point of being stepped on several times a day as he followed me around. He LOVED walks and if we went on one without him - which was very rare - you could hear him crying clear at the end of the street. He had a special bear we loved to play catch with - he would bring it to me and drop it at my feet when he wanted to play. He slept curled up against my back and I will miss his snuggles and his kisses. Tonight as we were waiting we played our little kissing game.
Since he was a little puppy I would say, "kisses for mommy" and he would lick me on the face and then I would say, "Kisses for Hanky" and he would put his head down and I would kiss him on the forehead. Although he was in alot of pain tonight he wanted to be held. He crawled up in my arms from the cold, steel table he was on. I had taken a towel along so at least he had that to lay on.
We will miss him so badly! I can't believe he is gone.
We are not sure what our Harley will do without his brother. Though they were not litter mates we brought them home together at 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks old so they have almost always been together. We let Harley see him when we brought him home tonight.
Not sure what we will tell the kids - what do you say? They don't really understand death.
We are going to bed to try and sleep - it is 1:30 am and it has been a long night -

8 comments:

Aus said...

Aww Ruth - so sorry for your loss. I've had one dog or another for something over 40 years now - and I miss them all. Time will heal. As for the kids - we've always opted to just be straight forward, they probably understand more than you think!

hugs - and a tear or two for all our past friends -

aus and co.

Anonymous said...

I too will miss Hank, he was like apart of the family,. i didn't mind being called granma by the (boys) and loved them wanting cheese. remeber all the good times., we will. love mom,grandma

Kelly and Matt said...

I am so sorry for your loss. We too are pet people and as with any loss there is much grief at losing a pet too. These 4-legged kids worm their way into our hearts too. I hope that soon you can think of Hank with all the joy and smiles he brought to your family. Hugs to you...

Redmom2005 said...

Ruth, I'm so sorry! What a beautiful dog he was! It's always hard to know what to say in these situations! Our pets become like "family" to us! Keep him in your thoughts, and his memory will live on forever!

Lisa said...

It is so sad to say goodbye to a pet. You guys are in my prayers!

Betsy said...

I am so sorry about Hank. Our pets are a part of our family and we know how hard it is to lose one of them. After a while, it will get easier to remember all the wonderful times you had with him and that will be a comfort. He was a lucky dog having you to love him and he brought a lot of joy to you all.

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I am so sorry for your loss. I know what an impact these little ones have on our lives and our hearts. You are in our thoughts

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruth and Troy,

We are at Grandma's and she had us read this! Lani and I are so SAD!!!! We know Hank was truly your baby. That part about the kisses really got to us!

We are so sorry for the loss of Hank in your lives.

Meredith
Lani