Sunday, September 09, 2007

Happy Birthday, Katie!



12 years ago a beautiful baby girl was born. She joined two older brothers and her birth was celebrated! I lived in Texas when she was born and had just been to California for the birth of another niece so did not know when I would be able to see this wonderful gift.

Two weeks after she was born her mother began to have strange symptoms. She was soon diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. With the ensuing hospitalization and paralysis it was impossible for my sister to care for her newborn.

Over the next three months I spent two extended times coming home to help care for Katie. I would take her to the hospital and lay her beside my sister who was not strong to hold her. Fortunately my sister recovered much quicker than was predicted – it was many months before she was back to full strength, but with the help of her family and church she made it through those days and was able to care for Katie and her brothers again.

Tonight we celebrated Katie’s twelfth birthday! She is becoming a beautiful young woman with high standards for her life and a loving and nurturing spirit. She is also talented, playing the piano, learning to sew and helps take care of her younger siblings and cousins!!

Katie has always been special to me because of those first few months I spent with her. I am so glad that she will be there as an example and someone that Annalynn can look up to.

No comments: