Saturday, August 11, 2007

Spaghetti Sauce



Another thing I love to do is cook! I know this blog is not about me - but it is something that I hope I can pass on to my daughter. I have had requests for my Spaghetti Sauce recipe and it is one of those things I just kind of throw together so today I decided while I was throwing it together I would try and measure what I was throwing into the pot. We like a lot of veggies in our sauce - so if you don't care for them you can skip that part but it does make it so yummy! Here is the result of todays measuring:

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
1 zucchini, cut in half and sliced
1 yellow squash, cut in half and sliced
1 red pepper, cut in chunks
1 green pepper, cut in chunks
1 lb of ground beef (you could also add some italian sausage if you have it)
3 (15 oz)cans of HUNTS tomato sauce
2 (15 oz) cans of HUNTS petite diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons of chili powder
2 teaspoons of italian seasoning
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
2 tablespoons of brown sugar (it is a tad sweet with 2 Tbsps.)

Chop vegetables and saute them in a little oil until they are soft. While veggies are cooking, cook hamburger in a seperate pan. When veggies are soft (about 5 minutes) add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (I have tried to make this with other tomatoes and it does not come out as good as with HUNTS!) Add meat to pan. Add spices. After I have added everything I taste and add sugar a little at a time until I get the taste I am looking for. The secret to a good spaghetti sauce is to let it simmer for a couple hours (at least) before you eat it.

This makes a large batch of sauce. For our family of three I divide it into three portions - one to eat right away (and usually have leftovers) and two portions I freeze for another time. It depends on how much sauce you like on your noodles.

Hope you try it and enjoy it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks - can't wait to make it. It is such a yummy recipe!

Unknown said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing. I added a food blog to my blog, as I l

Unknown said...

Ummm...yummy! I looks so good! I make my own sauce too and this has given me an idea for our summer vegies! Thanks!

Wendy

Unknown said...

Have you ever used canned zucchini? I have most everything except fresh zucchini. Thanks.