This is my 100th post. Traditionally on your 100th post you are supposed to tell 100 things about yourself – but this blog is not really about me and who wants to read 100 things about me anyway?
Instead of writing about me, I thought I would write a little bit about Annalynn’s legacy. I have spent the last few weeks going through some of my mother’s papers. My parents were missionaries in the Congo for 25 years and both of my grandmothers saved every letter that my parents wrote while they were on the mission field. In addition to this treasure – my mother was busy writing a journal of her life when she died. (She died on March 21st, 1999 from head injuries she received when a delivery truck struck her in a crosswalk 6 days earlier) Although Annalynn will never know her grandmother she will know about her life in as much detail as she cares to know.
My parents changed the course of history for our family. My father came from a family that was strong and did a lot of good but did not serve God. My mother was raised in the church but came from a broken family that scarred some beyond repair. Together they became a force that changed the course for their 5 children.
Our upbringing was not perfect by any means but we had a mother who prayed for us consistently and constantly. Her greatest desire was to see each of us walk with God and marry spouses who also walked with God. God honored her prayers.
In 1997 we had the privilege of all being together and my brother, Steve, wrote this great poem for my parents. Some of it may not make sense to the average reader who does not know the history behind it but the majority of it conveys so well who my parents were.
Legacy
by Steve Snyder
Sometimes the road that I am on seems to much for me to bear
That’s when I hear the strains of “It’s not an easy road” echoing in my ear
“but Jesus walks beside me and brightens my pathway” is the thought that I rest on
Thank you, Mom
Sometimes deep sorrow and fear grip me, and I am overwhelmed
“Day by day, and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here,
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment, I’ve no cause for weary or for fear”
And you lived it
Thanks, again, Mom
Sometimes I’m mad, angry, want to lash out
“He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater”
and “Out of His infinite riches in Jesus, He giveth, and giveth , and giveth again”
Thank you, Mom for your cheerful heart and constant praise to God and encouragement to us.
And for all the prayers you said for us that only God heard, but we got the answer to
And for your soft lap and your bent neck and your open ear,
You’ve earned the title Malaika with grace
Sometimes I’m traveling down an uncharted path, not knowing where I’m headed
Images of the Tomadi road, a bridge with planks missing, a huge mudhole, crouching under a dashboard
Flash into my mind
And in the periphery of the image is a determined man, seemingly unflustered, his jaw set
Determined, ready for whatever is around the next corner, a hero for modern times
Thanks, Dad
Sometimes I’m standing alone against the crowd, intent on truth and forgetting convention
I hear echoes of a strong voice, I see images of an intense face
I see a neck that won’t bend against the truth and a heart set on God’s way
Thanks, Dad, for your spirit of adventure, your fearlessness, and for teaching me to stand up for the truth
When everyone else is ready to sit down and give up
For your listening ear, your encouraging words, your firm hand and for all the ways you showed us
You loved us when you didn’t know it
Thank you, Mom and Dad, for not letting anything keep you from serving God
Thank you for persevering under the worst circumstances
Now we have an example when we have to do the same thing
Thank you for setting an example of faithfulness, longsuffering, love, patience, goodness, gentleness, encouragement, prayer, praise, tolerance, “but the greatest of these is Love”
May God continue to bless you with happiness, and may we, your children and grandchildren be both
Grateful to you and thankful to God for the legacy that you have left us
And may our children one day be able to say that we were faithful, just like Grandma and Grandpa
Instead of writing about me, I thought I would write a little bit about Annalynn’s legacy. I have spent the last few weeks going through some of my mother’s papers. My parents were missionaries in the Congo for 25 years and both of my grandmothers saved every letter that my parents wrote while they were on the mission field. In addition to this treasure – my mother was busy writing a journal of her life when she died. (She died on March 21st, 1999 from head injuries she received when a delivery truck struck her in a crosswalk 6 days earlier) Although Annalynn will never know her grandmother she will know about her life in as much detail as she cares to know.
My parents changed the course of history for our family. My father came from a family that was strong and did a lot of good but did not serve God. My mother was raised in the church but came from a broken family that scarred some beyond repair. Together they became a force that changed the course for their 5 children.
Our upbringing was not perfect by any means but we had a mother who prayed for us consistently and constantly. Her greatest desire was to see each of us walk with God and marry spouses who also walked with God. God honored her prayers.
In 1997 we had the privilege of all being together and my brother, Steve, wrote this great poem for my parents. Some of it may not make sense to the average reader who does not know the history behind it but the majority of it conveys so well who my parents were.
Legacy
by Steve Snyder
Sometimes the road that I am on seems to much for me to bear
That’s when I hear the strains of “It’s not an easy road” echoing in my ear
“but Jesus walks beside me and brightens my pathway” is the thought that I rest on
Thank you, Mom
Sometimes deep sorrow and fear grip me, and I am overwhelmed
“Day by day, and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here,
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment, I’ve no cause for weary or for fear”
And you lived it
Thanks, again, Mom
Sometimes I’m mad, angry, want to lash out
“He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater”
and “Out of His infinite riches in Jesus, He giveth, and giveth , and giveth again”
Thank you, Mom for your cheerful heart and constant praise to God and encouragement to us.
And for all the prayers you said for us that only God heard, but we got the answer to
And for your soft lap and your bent neck and your open ear,
You’ve earned the title Malaika with grace
Sometimes I’m traveling down an uncharted path, not knowing where I’m headed
Images of the Tomadi road, a bridge with planks missing, a huge mudhole, crouching under a dashboard
Flash into my mind
And in the periphery of the image is a determined man, seemingly unflustered, his jaw set
Determined, ready for whatever is around the next corner, a hero for modern times
Thanks, Dad
Sometimes I’m standing alone against the crowd, intent on truth and forgetting convention
I hear echoes of a strong voice, I see images of an intense face
I see a neck that won’t bend against the truth and a heart set on God’s way
Thanks, Dad, for your spirit of adventure, your fearlessness, and for teaching me to stand up for the truth
When everyone else is ready to sit down and give up
For your listening ear, your encouraging words, your firm hand and for all the ways you showed us
You loved us when you didn’t know it
Thank you, Mom and Dad, for not letting anything keep you from serving God
Thank you for persevering under the worst circumstances
Now we have an example when we have to do the same thing
Thank you for setting an example of faithfulness, longsuffering, love, patience, goodness, gentleness, encouragement, prayer, praise, tolerance, “but the greatest of these is Love”
May God continue to bless you with happiness, and may we, your children and grandchildren be both
Grateful to you and thankful to God for the legacy that you have left us
And may our children one day be able to say that we were faithful, just like Grandma and Grandpa
The pictures below are ones that were taken each time my parents were on furlough for their prayer card.





2 comments:
Such a great post Ruth. Thanks for sharing with us all.
Thanks Ruth - you come up with these treasures that I have forgotten about! Steve was very eloquent when writing that - it's really beautiful.
Post a Comment