Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fifty

Today I turn 50 years old! I have such mixed emotions about this milestone. When I was 20 or 30 or even 40 if you had told me I would be raising 2 five year olds on my 50th I would have told you you were crazy! I know I am not the first to do it (my mother had a 4 year old on her 50th) Don't get me wrong - I love my kids and am so blessed to be their mother.
This morning I woke up early and had an hour by myself before the rest of the house woke up. I admit there were a few tears in that hour - at 50 you realize that you have probably lived more than half your life - but as my husband has been telling me - I am in such a good place right now in my life. I feel better than I have in years because of finding out about my food allergies and totally changing my eating. I spent several years in my 40's with horrible back pain and right now I can honestly say I am practically pain free. I have a husband that I adore and that takes such good care of me and our children. I have two beautiful, miracle children that God has blessed us with and that I love so much. I have such a large, wonderful extended family that are so supportive and encouraging and I have wonderful friends all over the world. My mom friends here in town are the best - although I am old enough to be their mother (most of them) we are walking together in raising our children and the support and encouragment is so needed.
So all in all - I am happy turning 50! I pray that this year and this decade will be one in which I can impact my children's lives - these will be such important years for their future and I want to be there for them each step. I want to be the best support I can to my husband as he works so hard for us and he is not getting any younger either :-) . I want to be there for my family to support and encourage them (and try not to be too jealous that most of them are becoming grandparents :-) ) I want to be there to walk with my mom friends as we walk through similar struggles and joys in raising our children. I want to be there for my church - to help bring Hope to a world that so desperatley needs it! I want my 50's to be the best decade of my life!
As my mom used to say - you are only as old as you think you are - and she always said she felt 36 - so I think I will stick with that age as well. I definetly don't feel 50 (whatever that feels like!) My hospital picture - approximately 3 days old
Yesterday with my princess at her friend's princess party


7 comments:

a portland granny said...

Happy Birthday, Ruth!! What a wonderful post and such a testimony to your life and all of the blessings that you enjoy!

I can tell you from experience that the 50's were a breeze--its this pushing 80 that gets to me sometimes!!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Ruth! I loved your post. So glad to hear that you are feeling so good. KellyB (ladybug group)

Kelly and Matt said...

Greta post and picutres!

Karmen and Greg said...

What a beautiful perspective Ruth!!! May the nezt 50 years be filled with love and laughter. I am so glad I have gotten to know you! AND Praise God your back is better!

Betsy said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Charlie's bday is the 26th, didn't realize you two were so close. He turned 52 and I will also be turning 52 in a few weeks. Never thought we would be in our fifties with kids in grade school, but are we all so blessed that we are! We do need to get together soon, I had forgotten all about the Pampered Chef stuff!

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

Happy Birthday!

Merry Me said...

Welcome to the 50s. I truly feel better at 50 than I did at 40. I admire you raising two darling children and it only makes me wish that my kids were little again. Enjoy.